Topics of Crunching

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Letter of Resignation

The day after tomorrow, I start a new job. I have been a stay-at-home mom for about a year a half, since our last move. Pregnancy and a new baby have made the job search fruitless, but after Christmas, I started looking again in earnest, and I believe I have found something that fits my values and priorities very well. 

If you've read much of this blog, I'm sure you have gathered the clues about me. There's my tear-streaked cry for help, Potty Break, as well as the angry rant entitled Get the Heck out of my Bed. My pregnancy woes are well documented in The Magnitude of the Belly (it's a whale of a tale). And of course the manifesto, Restless Mom: The Stay at Home Diaries. I love my kids so much, and I can promise that time with them is so precious to me, but I am truly awful at staying home with them. I have done it all - work full time (with both parents or as a single parent), work part time (with both parents or as a single parent), stay home exclusively, and work-at-home mom. I know that my relationship with my children is stronger and less strained when I spend some time away from them. This is certainly not true for all, but for me, it's undeniable. This coupled with a real financial need for me to return to the paid workforce means it is time. The job that I am taking is perfect - nearly full time, near a great daycare, very family oriented. It's truly a Godsend.

As I was thinking about going back to work today, it occured to me that staying home with kids is the hardest job I've ever had. It's more than full-time. It's all-time. Since I'm leaving that profession behind (at least during business hours), I think it's only fair that I provide my employer with notice. Below you will find my lovingly written "Letter of Resignation."

Dear Sir or Ma'am,
I am writing to inform you that I will no longer be available to provide my services for the position of stay-at-home mom for your company. Though the past 18 months have been an intense learning experience, and although I know that I have learned much about the art of patience and love during this time, I feel very strongly that my talents and efforts will be better spent outside the home.  
As I knew going into this journey, motherhood is a lifestyle, not a simple occupation. This won't change. I assure you that my commitment to 3 am feedings, puking toddlers, and endless peanut butter crackers is unwavering. However, this is my notice to inform you that during business hours, I will no longer be available to handle fits, Barbie dream house scenarios or repeated playings of Barney's Christmas Special
After much time at the proverbial round table, my children and I have come to a happy conclusion: we have agreed to outsource their daytime care to a professional team of adults who are interested in the lucrative work of childcare. You can be content knowing that the girls are even more pleased with this arrangement than I
Thank you for the opportunity to test my metal in this position. Unfortunately, it's not for me. Good day to you
Sincerely,
Semi Crunch

1 comment:

Christine said...

Many of us have been there Erin! I wish you the best of luck in your new position, I'm sure you will do well in your double career!