Topics of Crunching

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Introduction and Disclaimer

I'm crazy. I like it. I hope you will too.

To elaborate, there are a few things you should know about me before you proceed. I will list them as topics, because these are the subjects that will dominate on this blog.


1. I am a Roman Catholic. I was a non-denominational Protestant, and I "converted" as an adult. Not for marriage, not for heritage. For theology. I follow all of the teachings of the Church, and if I disagree, I look deeply with research and prayer. So far, I have yet to encounter a subject on which I have not eventually come around. I will be unapologetic about this - regardless of whether or not it's acceptable to today's ever-changing rules of social engagement. That's one of my Church's best attributes - they have the integrity not to back down in the face of political correctness. This is not to say that I bear any feelings of ill-will toward my protestant brothers and sisters, or toward any belief. "Stand for something or fall for anything." Christ taught love - it's the most important thing I can do, first to my God, then to my neighbor. Won't you be my neighbor?


2. I am a wife and mother.  I remember when I wasn't, and I remember how obnoxious it was to talk on the phone with friends who were, being constantly interrupted by untied shoes and sibling assault and kisses for Mr. Bear. I remember the inward eye roll whenever they talked about whatever insignificant thing their child had accomplished that week. But I was unprepared to see how valuable those things become on the other side. Although I will temper myself to keep my childless readers engaged, I will also be unapologetic about this. My family is the center of my life, as dictated by God, and I couldn't be more pleased with that fact. Be prepared for the occasional mom post.


3. I am eco-friendly (but only as far as you can throw me) I find myself constantly faced with the challanges of my green lifestyle, and they have been known to get the best of me. It's not easy being green. I can excuse this partially by saying that moderation is key in my environmental strategy, but I know that won't cover it all. I don't know enough about how to reduce the carbon footprint to do it correctly (I'm learning slowly). And, more importantly, I get lazy. I'm counting on you, reader, to call me out on it.


4. I am a graphic designer. This makes me a geek. I love Apple, Adobe and Art. There are fonts that make me cringe, and there are certain grammar rules I just can't ever let go of, even in text messages. I spend my time learning coding and photoshoping mismatched heads on bodies. Feel free to make fun of me - I will probably enjoy it.

Still reading? Good! I haven't scared you off. That's nice, because I like you. Thanks for sticking around.





No comments: