Topics of Crunching

Saturday, March 5, 2011

What exactly is a Semi-Crunch?

I'm blogging again. It's something I have done off and on for years, mostly for myself and a few loyal followers. But I've noticed that my posts on facebook are getting more frequent, more opinionated, and decidedly more...crunchy. I need a better outlet. One that won't annoy. One that leaves the viewer the option of simply not returning to the site if I offend their over-delicate and probably closed-minded sensibilities. One where they don't have to read through my posts to stalk their ex-boyfriend's pregnant girlfriend (who shouldn't be putting that information out there any way). Mainly, I need a place where I don't have to worry about burning someone with what some might see as opinionated offense, but I would call prudent integrity in my beliefs. So, welcome! Don't be scared, I don't bite.

I hope the question you are asking yourself is: what is a semi-crunch? If you are asking, thank you. Let me endeavor: First you must understand crunch. The ever-illuminating "urban dictionary" defines "crunchy" as:
Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc.
To paraphrase (which inevitably means to slant my way, right?), crunchiness is characterized by a possibly overzealous love of Mama Earth and all her children, unless those children use styrofoam. This is decidedly not me, even on my best day.

Now, on to the semi. I have noticed, not only in myself, but in my husband, my friends and even some of my family, a shift. Maybe the change goes even further. 5 years ago, no one knew, or cared, about high-fructose anything. Most grocery stores didn't even sell reusable bags (in fact, they would give you a strange look for providing one to the bagger). You couldn't find a fast food kids meal that came with anything but fries, and substituting a side salad for yours was laughable. Free-range was a complimentary trip to shoot some stuff at that place off I-40, and hormones were a teenage problem - not a dairy problem. I would wager that is changing. A trip down the grocery aisles will tell you that people have paid heed to their bodies and their earth, even if it's incremental. Marketing, after all, is a wonderful measure of our society, and my hot dogs inform me boldly that they are nitrate free, nitrite free, and minimally processed (even if they are hot dogs).

Better to do a little than nothing at all. Better if all do some than if few do everything. I once had a nutrition professor tell me that there is only one fact about eating that you can rely on: if you eat something enough, you'll grow to prefer it. In the broader sense, if I feed my brain on selflessness, I'll want more. Yum.

I am only partially crunchy. Take my life as a mother: cloth diapers, but made with synthetic fabrics. Breastfeeding, but not on demand. Whole foods at home, but cheat at a restaurant. I feel like we'll run out of momentum if we try to save the world - so we start small and keep pushing. That is the semi-crunch. Start small, question everything, focus on moderation, and enjoy life.

Although it will date me (one of my all-time favorite phrases), I will admit that Semi-Charmed Kind of Life was the CD in the player of my very first car. In fact, it was playing as I wrecked that car after driving like a fool when I was mad at that week's boyfriend. So, it may make a strange choice of name, but the sentiment is too good to pass up. I hope that you are a little charmed, and a little crunchy, like me. I hope that you'll comment, complain, and cry for more. Mostly, I hope you'll enjoy and return.





5 comments:

LaurenBonk said...

Hi Erin! I just have to say that I am totally pumped that you've got a blog going! I love your content and style so far, and plan on following you like crazy! I love making blogging friends!!!

Far said...

Well didn't you just make my day? Thanks so much! We can follow each other (strange use of that verb - feel like i'm waiting for you in a dark alley). Now, I just have to figure out how to "officially" follow your blog...

Unknown said...

i'm so behind the times. i just got a laptop and am going to take on blogging. i've had every intention to name it My Semi-Crunchy Kinda Life, Baby. while i'm a little sad to know that i need to come up with a new name bc i've been giddy waiting to start my blog, i'm super stoked to have found your blog. i'm excited to read your posts. :)

Far said...

Thanks! I'm sure you'll come up with an awesome name. Be sure to stop back by and let me know - I'd love to ready what you've got to say. :-)

Traci P. said...

thanks! i definitely will. :)